Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Berkalouw Books

Stocking 50,000 second-hand books, Berkalouw Books is a unique and interesting bookstore.

I strolled along the aisles of books, positively giddy with the amount and variety of books I was looking at. The store design was elegant but unusual, with interesting paintings and pictures placed around the room. The selection of books is wide, it offer science, politics, religion, self development (we all need some of that), music and the categories go on.

What intrigued me the most about the store was the products other than the books. For a bookworm such as myself, there was a cute (yet expensive) book carrier, a series of straps that are wound around the book, with a loop for you to hold it with (yes, I know what you are thinking, 'wouldn’t I look like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz carrying that book carrier?' Well, that’s what I first thought when I saw it). What caught my attention (making me say “Oh my God! LOOK! LOOK!” to my sister) was the ‘Penguin Books’ merchandise. The classic orange ‘Penguin books’ book cover was printed on pencil cases, water bottles and small writing books.

Some other items Berkalouw Books seemed entirely random considering it was a bookstore, but maybe, in a way I didn’t see, there was some meaning to their madness. Some of the rather random things Berkalouw Books stocked were handbags, gloves, soaps, embroided cushions (random, yes, but very cute) and many other bits and bobs.

To my delight, after inspecting all of the products and books, I noticed a staircase leading to a second level. The homely, comforting smell of chicken broth (of all things?) reached my nose as I walked up the deep brown wooden stairs, my clogs clunking on the wood.

And what a sight it was. Rows of antique books stacked up in shelves, the café welcoming me. After browsing through the books I wanted to touch, but was scarred I would somehow break, I came to the café, another perk of Berkalouw Books.

The café caters for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, and their menu left my sister Oohing and Aahing as she read. I was at the café for lunch, the food ranged from a basic Tuna Salad, to a delicious sounding Smoked Salmon Panini, with avocado and ricotta cheese.



Aside from the tasty food, the endless books and the interesting products, what made Berkalouw Books for me was the atmosphere of casualness, like there was no pressure. Across from myself, sat a University student, highlighter poised in hand, as she scanned her papers in front of her. From the young to the old, the workers to the students, people came, they browsed, they laughed, they talked, they organised their diaries (i.e. the woman sitting next to me) and they ate. There is plenty to do at Berkalouw Books.

I will definitely come back to Berkalouw Books, I had a wonderful experience, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Tel: +61(0)2 9557 1777
Fax: +61(0)2 9565 2700
Email Newtown
6-8 O'Connell Street
Newtown
NSW 2042
(This is only the contact information for the Newtown branch. For the contact information for a store closer to you, you can visit the website http://berkelouw.com.au/contact_us)


No comments:

Post a Comment